Friday, November 9, 2007

Flashback Friday


Easter Sunday, 1976. Me, at about four years old. All dolled up to go to church.
I am so excited, can't you tell.
I remember that purse and bonnet set.
And my getup is something my mother probably whipped up the day before.
I remember the day I lost that purse....a very, very sad day.


Me, my brother Robin and Bunny....the 'bestest' plush bunny ever. 
Keeper of all secrets, hopes, dreams and cooties.

This was my first home....the place where I was born and raised....a three bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor of a Pre-War building on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.  Sounds exciting right?, well, maybe not, but in many ways it was. It must have been an exciting time for my mother too. She left the old country, settles in NYC and goes crazy painting the walls mint green and neon pink....and to compliment the walls, she gets a huge couch in the most blinding color imaginable....Fire Truck Red. Then she crochets a large doily, stitches it to the couch, only to cover the entire thing in plastic.

WOW! you gotta LOVE the 70's.
And please do notice the red and white vinyl floors....THAT I am sure was my father's idea.

But really, isn't this place simply delicious. I would love to have a studio space like this.... My mother actually had the right idea...choosing colors that would appeal  to us and setting up the home for us to play, mess up and go crazy in.
But Mami, about that doily on the couch.....um...we need to talk.

7 comments:

judy harper said...

I am loving this - I found you via Allison Aller. My six were children in the 70's - My #5 child (my Christmas Eve baby in 1971) is in Iraq right now, away from his family on Halloween - we included a fine set of Vampire teeth in his October CARE package. I love your work!! And my mess is more disgusting than yours - I win. My children think I am a crazy old lady.

Jacky said...

Hi Alma,
Love your home you grew up in!!! No wonder you are so creative being surrounded by those wonderful colours and textures.
The photo of you all ready to go to church reminds me of when I was a little girl and used to go to church with my Nana. Dressing for the occasion involved the little white lacy gloves, the beautiful purse/handbag and topped off with a hat...didnt I think I looked the best. Dont think it was Sunday School I looked forward to as much as the dressing up.
Jacky

Cathy said...

Lovely photographs. It's interesting how as children we get so attached to special things, such as a purse, and that stays with us our whole lives! Thanks for sharing your pictures and work, Cathy.

karoda said...

ha! alma, your attachment to the purse reminds me of a poem by Angelou...i'm ab libbing but the lines go something like this, "i lost a doll once and cried for a week, lost a watch and wished i was dead...now if i feel that way 'bout a doll and a watch, how you think i feel about my lover man..." just made me laugh.

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I love those pictures of you as a kid! And that neon pink, and that floor -- wow, wow, wow. I grew up with a lot of pastel walls, 'tho the kitchen was a sunny yellow for many years, and I loved that. There was a ton of crochet doilies -- my grandmother made them when she wasn't knitting mittens for all the grandchildren. Last I knew she still was making them (she's in her late 80s now). I have a stash of her work that I will put to use some day, maybe in a big wallhanging. (In fact, I've also got a small stash of homemade doilies that I've rescued from thrift stores and so forth. I feel more free to take liberties with those. ;-) ) It's funny -- she taught me embroidery, but it was my other grandmother that tried to teach me how to crochet. I guess I never showed an interest in crochet around her.

amber dawn said...

HAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!

amber dawn said...

Just so you know, my laughter was not the rude kind, it was the joyful fun kind.
I LOVED seeing this.
And the closing remark- addressing your mom about the doily... that sent me chuckling...