Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Pricked: Extreme Embroidery

Img_0001_2



The kids are home from school this entire week. I took them to the Museum of Arts and Design to view the most amazing exhibit called Pricked (extreme embroidery).

And if you remember Julian's embroidery work, you will know that he has an eye for it. 

The exhibit isn't for kids....because it is quite.....extreme in concept. But they looked at it and took what they could and made sense of it in their own way. They walked away commenting on a favorite piece....either because of the crystals or the flowers.

All I have to say is.....I must go back. Really, really amazing work. Many of the embroidered pieces were created by men. I need to go back,....alone...... to REALLY look at it and REALLY take it all in.

Img_0003_2

The only crafty thing accomplished today.....the Floret Stitch

Img_0012

1 comment:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

This show sounds totally up my alley. I love "extreme" fiber arts, if you know what I mean. Over-the-top embellishment, knitting with backhoes, all that stuff. Tell us what really grabs you when you get to go again.