Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Picasso at The Met


IMG_0043
 This is one of the reasons why I love New York....I simply love The Met. An exhibit of Picasso's work opened up a few weeks ago... I love it... I've seen it twice and each time I notice something different. Take a virtual tour inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art and enjoy the exhibit yourself. I love this painting from his 'Blue Period'.

IMG_0015


IMG_0020

This is probably my favorite Picasso linoleum cut piece. The inspiration was a 1564 painting (below) by Lucas Cranach. It is the most complicated of all his linoleum cut pieces. It required that he cut six separate blocks for each distinct color:  black, red, green, yellow, brown and blue. 
To improve the registration and streamline the process, Picasso invented a new way of printing a multicolored image from a single block, known as the reductive linocut. 
brilliant!
IMG_0021

IMG_0052

2 comments:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

That last image makes me wonder how your girls would look if you stitched them in a more Cubist manner....

Flower said...

Your blog came today as kind of a gift! It's been very dark and rainy on the west coast. I needed a bright spot to visit! New York is one of my favorite places but have only visited twice. The first time was for eight entire days! The Met is something else....it goes on and on! Being on the edge of the park makes it all the better!!
And I love how art surrounds everything there! So, thanks!!