Friday, July 2, 2010

How to Make Fabric Beads

 Today I thought I would share with you instructions on how to make 
one of my favorite fabric beads which I call Eye Candy Beads.
I have been making and teaching these designs for years now. 
I hope you like it.
Supplies
  • knitting needles (any size will work...I like to use a metal needle in size 13, 
  • fabric ( any kind will work...I like to work with sheers/glitzy fabrics)
  • an assortment of seed beads in all sizes
  • a good quality thread (or beading thread...I use a Nymo size D), 
  • glitzy/funky fibers, 
  • a needle, pins and basic sewing supplies.


IMG_0016
Cut a strip of fabric about 45 inches long.
Wrap it tightly (about 5 times) around the knitting needle....
then twist and wrap the fabric to create gentle folds.

IMG_0017 
pin in place

IMG_0028 
Determine what kind of fiber you think would work best with your fabric choice.
Here I am using this confetti look-alike fiber.
IMG_0029
Wrap it and pin in place.

IMG_0035 
I could finish here....but I want to add a little more color to it, so 
I use this other fiber around it.
Wrap and pin in place.
IMG_0037
I like to place the seed beads on a piece of felt so they don't bounce and roll off my table.

IMG_0038 
Thread your needle, double strand, hide the knot inside the fabric, and randomly stitch the beads on your fabric bead.
While you are stitching the beads, make sure that you go through all the layers. 
This will anchor the fabric, the fibers and the beads all at the same time.
   IMG_0068   
When you are done, pull the bead off the knitting needle and 
 it will look something like this.

IMG_0074
When you get the hang of it, you may want to make a whole bunch in stages....
It saves time if you do all the wrapping at the same time...
then the beading and so forth.

IMG_0076   

IMG_0078

Here are a few that I have finished.
Enjoy!

IMG_0085

IMG_0097 
IMG_0101

21 comments:

Melly said...

These are a lot o f fun, Alma. Bright little treasures.

Sarah Davis said...

Thanks Alma. Super fun!

Ruth Anne said...

These look like a lot of fun.

Judy Coates Perez said...

fun little wrapped packages of fiber goodness!

jessica loughrey said...

very funky and fun! i will have to try this.

Noel said...

And to think I almost got rid of all my knitting needles....now I found a new use for them....TFS!
Hugs,
Noel

cm said...

these are great! is the fabric strip really 45 inches long? or is it 4 to 5? thanks!

Kathy Gledsdale said...

Pretty cool

Allison said...

OMG! you've got my thinking now. Watch out!

Gloria said...

Very cool, Alma! Thanks for sharing.

Christine said...

Cool! They remind me of funky little caterpillers.

Marci Glenn said...

Alma - these are lovely. Eye candy for sure.

Diana Trout said...

These are so much fun, Alma! Thanks for sharing this idea. I have a stash of scraps that will be perfect!

Eden said...

Gosh Alma...everything is soooo darn fun here. I had to post the recyle magazine project. It is just too cool and yes it would make for beautiful journal sheets! I am so happy I discovered you. Your the best! Thanks for sharing. Blessings Eden

Grace said...

Wow..I like your work!!
Its awesome..
I love your designs..
You inspired me to doing something like this..

Kelli Perkin said...

These are heartbreakingly lovely. I will be making some very soon! Thanks for your perfect tutorial and great photos. Very inspirational. Kelli

Rachel said...

These are GORGEOUS! What a riot of color. I just clicked over from Craft Gossip and I'm so glad I did. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

Rita Ackerman said...

Wow. These are wonderful. I too followed the link over and am inspired to make these beads. Thank you for sharing this wonderful technique.
Rita

Helga said...

only Lovely

Itsdjoy said...

BEADS ARE FANTASTIC thanks for the tutorial one of the best I've seen.....now where are my knitting needles i am not a knitter but i do have a variety of needles to only find them.....lol

doudou said...

Bonjour,J'aime beaucoup les perles en tissus et j'aimerai faire un lien de votre travail sur mon blog. Me donnez vous l'autorisation ?
Merci d'avance et bonne continuation dans vos créations textiles.