Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Happy National Button Day

via RettGrayson

This is a blurb I found on a site called Zany Holidays.

"Today, November 16th, is Button Day. Take this time to honor and recognize the humble button, so simple yet so important to our lives. Where would we be without the red button, not to be pushed under any circumstances? If you've ever worn a button-down shirt, winter jacket, pair of pants, or any sort of corporate ensemble, you're intimately familiar with buttons. Today, bask in your new-found awareness of these fasteners' importance, for without them, our apparel would be a sorry mess of flimsy snaps and busted zippers. True fanatics can join the National Button Society and obsess over buttons all year round."

Alma Stoller


I don't know how Button Day got started, but I am happy that it did.
I haven't met a fabric artist that wasn't a collector of buttons. Whether we are aware of it or not, it seems like we are all button hoarders. Whether of the Mother-of-Pearl kind, acrylics, metal, wooden, or the handmade bejeweled kind....we all stash them in tin containers, glass jars or in plastic bins. My favorite kind of buttons are the handmade kind...these are some of my polymer clay buttons.

Alma Stoller

Below are some beautiful photos by other artists that apparently share the same passion.
It is nice to know I am not the only one.

Are you a button collector?

via Chelsea Donnell

How do you store your button collection?
any suggestions?


via CraftSnob

via Button It Up

via Sarah Youde
via doe-c-doe

via ARemarkYouMade


via RolyzCreations

7 comments:

SisterDG said...

Ooh, thanks for the button-y goodness and the heads-up! I loves me some buttons. Sadly, my storage is in transition at the moment, as my stash has outgrown its jars and shelf space. If only I could stop doing other crafts so there'd be more room for the buttons. :-)

Patty Biermans said...

OOhh, I like buttons!! When I was a little girl I used to play with the metal sigarbox where my mother stored her buttons. I spread them out on the table and sorted them out! Lóóóved it :D. hugzz...peebee

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Oh yes, buttons, buttons, buttons! My stash is mostly in baggies at the moment, but I might just have to put some on display in jars. Easy to see, yet out of the influence of my cats....

concretenprimroses said...

Mine are in tins and jars. Some of the horn and bone ones get a bit stinky!
I love them.
Kathy

Sheep Rustler said...

Mine are currently in plastic baggies by colour group (or other identifying characteristic) and all stored in a large plastic container. They are overspilling1

Ty and Whitty said...

Thank you so much for linking up to last weeks show and share. Make sure to come back and link up this week with your latest project.

A mommy's life...with a touch of yellow
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Ornery's Wife said...

What an inspiring post! I have been thinking about trying to make some buttons, but the pictures here gave me all sorts of new ideas! Yum!
tm