Tuesday, March 27, 2012

how to make a cardboard canvas



Supplies: 
cardboard/chipboard, mod podge, masking tape,
a brush and pages from a book.


apply Mod Podge on a piece of cardboard and collage book pages on it.


Let it dry


cut a 4 inch square and 4 strips that are 1 1/2 inches wide


use masking tape the adhere the strips to the square.
add snippets of tape on the inside of the canvas.


until it looks like this...


then collage snippets of book pages on and inside the canvas 
in order to cover up the masking tape. 


when you are done, it should look something like this.


done!


now, it is ready for you to paint or collage on it.


check out the other tutorials by STITCHED instructors:

March 1st: Deborah Boschert
March 5th: Paula Joerling
March 6th: Jackie Bowcutt
March 8th: Mollie Johanson
March 13th: Cindy Caraway  
March 15th: Jennifer Ofenstein 
March 20th: Kelli Nina Perkins   
March 22nd: Tracie Lampe  
March 27th: Alma Stoller ...me     
March 29th: Ann Tucker


23 comments:

Leyna said...

Thanks Alma, that is a great idea. I can't wait to try it! I recognize pages from Twilight :)

jackie said...

Nice useful idea. Thanks.

Sandy said...

So simple and so frugal. This is a great idea. Thank you.

Gill said...

Thanks for a great tutorial!

*jean* said...

thanks so much, that is a brilliant idea!

Kathryn said...

Not only is this thrify, it sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing this with us:)

kijsa said...

Loved this! Had to pin on my board 'what to make this year' ...because I am going to do this soon! Brilliant & thrifty- a perfect combo!

Thea Roy said...

Alma, this is fabulous! I've been collaging on small cardboard boxes for awhile... (greeting card boxes are nice and sturdy) but never thought of using a box cut to whatever size I wanted! Also - just an idea: I save used tea bags and collage them on boxes for a cool background.

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

Wonderful! A great use for those cardboard boxes! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Melanie said...

Great tutorial, thanks! I'm definitely going to do this!

Miss Sandy said...

LOVE this! What a great way to use up those boxes in my pantry. Thank you for a really great idea!

Angie said...

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing. I may have to give it a try. ;)

Pacete said...

Great webpage!! I'm browsing from Santiago de Chile. Thanks for your great ideas.

heather noye said...

Wow! This is brilliant! I love painting on cardboard but it just never dawned on me to make a box like a canvas! How cool! I can't wait to try.

Michellem said...

This is just about the best idea EVER!!!! I just made two canvas boxes!!

Amy Anderson said...

These are beautiful AND budget friendly. LOVE it!

Joyce said...

Found this through Modge Podge Rocks and, it does! I'm going to try this...NOW! :-)

CREATIVE MIND said...

Great..a smart idea of recycling :) thanks for sharing!

Zima said...

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun! Just one question: why wouldn't you put the masking tape on the inside?

Chykarea said...

Wonderful!! It's really useful and worth to try. Thanks for sharing and tutorial!

Michelle said...

They are awesome! I'm going to give it ago with my son :)

Q said...

This may be a stupid question, but how do you hang it? I have used a shoe box lid as a canvas before and it was a little wonky so it was nearly impossible to hang. It is just barely staying on the wall.

nrelate content