Tuesday, April 24, 2012

STITCHED instructor:
Mollie Johanson

I am excited to share with you my interview with embroidery designer and 
STITCHED instructor Mollie Johanson.
You will enjoy her artistic process and her creative way with needle and thread.
You can see more of her designs in her Etsy shop and 
her creative play is beautifully illustrated in her lovely blog at:


How did you become an artist? When did you know?

On some level, I think I've always been an artist in one way or another. My parents are both really creative, and they've always encouraged me to be creative too. But really, it was only in the last few years (after doing various kinds of art and craft for a long time) that I've been able to call myself an artist. 
And when I finally did, it felt big.


How do you go about creating your art pieces?
Doodling and sketching is always at hand, so most pieces start that way. And then I see where they take me. Because I work with embroidery, felt, paint and even the computer, each medium requires a different process. But ultimately, I keep adding elements until it feels "just right". 
(And then sometimes I'm still not sure that I took it far enough!)


What inspires you to create the work that you do?

There are a lot of things, really. A lot of my work is based around cute little objects with faces, but most of them have to do with memories and sentiment...things that are important to me. Also, music is a big source of inspirations. I love using a bit of song lyric to accompany my work.


Aside from "sewing", what other kinds of needle art do you enjoy working on?

Hand embroidery is my biggest area that I work in, and after years of working with it, I feel I've only skimmed the surface. There's just so many kinds of embroidery, and I love it all! I also do a bit of knitting and crochet, but only a little bit!


favorite quote?

"All is well. Christ is risen." - Lenny Smith

Name 3 songs in your ipod or playlist?

Impossible Soul - Sufjan Stevens
Eyeoneye - Andrew Bird
Atlanta - Catch Bees

What are you working on right now?

In addition to regular projects for my blog, I'm working a bunch of secret stuff for things to be published in the next year. Things are getting exciting around here!


Any upcoming projects?

One of the less-secret things I'm working on is for my next online class, which will be happening in the summer! You're the first to hear that The Embroidery Project will focus on taking your stitching to new proportions...more details will be on my blog as the time comes closer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mollie's STITCHED workshop is called
In The Clutch Fold-Over Purse.
Check out her bloopers HERE


No comments: