Tuesday, May 15, 2012

STITCHED instructor:
Jackie Bowcutt

Jackie Bowcutt's work is intricate and delicate both at the same time.
Her STITCHED workshop titled: 
Make Your Mark with Stitch: "Let's Play Noughts and Crosses"
Has everyone painting and stitching, as she introduces us to
monoprinting on fabric and interpreting the marks with stitch.
It is a great workshop and Jackie's method is completely freeform and fun.
In her workshop, her motto seems to be..."Just get on with it".
So that's exactly what I am going to do,
I am excited to introduce you to some of her work.


How did you become an artist? When did you know?

When my children were small I went to a cross stitch card class. 
I had not done any stitching since Junior School. The tutor invited a few of us to her home to continue the class and then as I worked part time I was able to follow a City and Guilds Creative Studies course. 
I got the bug and for the next few years really enjoyed the challenge of those studies, especially having two sons and a husband obsessed by sport. I think it kept me sane, especially as my job became more demanding. It gave me something of my own to focus on. When I left full time work I was able to study for a Diploma in Art and Design. 
This boosted my confidence and helped me to appreciate my own creativity.



How do you go about creating your art pieces?

I think the process for me is a mixture of inspiration and study through drawing and photography.


What inspires you to create the work that you do?

I particularly love the thrill of getting out fabrics and threads, and looking through the possible colour palate. I also enjoy trying new techniques and developing them in my own way.


Aside from "sewing", what other kinds of needle art do you enjoy working on?

My work has become more ‘art’ based, even though I have done most of the traditional techniques such as metal thread and black work. I enjoy wet felting and have made and exhibited a number of artists’ books in recent years. I now draw more and am part of the Sketchbook Challenge Group. I think drawing does feed into any stitching you may later do.


Favourite Quote: 

One of my first tutors said ‘You can’t be creative with only one piece of thread’; 
I always remember this, what a lovely excuse for buying more.


What are you working on right now?

I am working on the theme of ‘Change, Transform, Disintegrate’ based on a rabbits skull which I found. I am using felt and my new Embellisher to develop the theme and having great fun with it.

Any upcoming projects?

One of my sketchbooks and a stitched piece will appear in Sue Bleiweiss’ book ‘Sketchbook Challenge’ which is published in June 2012.

visit her blog STITCHWORKS

read more about her STITCHED workshop HERE

1 comment:

jackie said...

Thanks Alma, lets hope it gives Stitched a boost.