Tuesday, September 24, 2013

tutorial:
how to make a paint pad


Last week, I posted this tutorial, were I showed you my handmade paint pad.
After getting several emails requesting how-to make one, 
I decided to quickly post this tutorial.

It's really quite easy.
Here are the supplies needed.


I used an empty baby wipe container and a large dishwashing sponge.


Wet the sponge with water.
Add a few drops of essential oils.
Coat the surface of the sponge with a few drops of glycerine.

The glycerine is used as a paint retarder. It keeps the paint wet and slows 
down the drying process of acrylic paints.
The essential oil is used to prevent the sponge from getting yucky and moldy from the water.


Then coat the sponge with your chosen paint color.
The cool thing about this is that you don't have to rinse out the sponge. 
You can use this paint pad over and over again, and layer different paint colors on it.


Use your paint pad with your rubber or handmade stamps to print on paper or fabric.

For more creative ideas,
check out my online class 101 Mixed Media Techniques.

6 comments:

Carina said...

oooh! can't wait for the weekend to put one of these together.

Leigh said...

Love this idea!! So do you let it dry between/before using different paint colors?

stonechatchat said...

Fantastic !!!

stonechatchat said...

Fantastic!!!!

Alma Stoller said...

Hi Leigh,

Yes, I just let it dry in between colors. Or I will section off parts of the sponge with different colors....if I am using more than one color at a time.
It all works well in the end. super easy and fun.

Alma

frankie955 said...

I love this!!!

nrelate content